In today’s hyper-connected digital world, the significance of cyber security cannot be overstated. As we go about our daily lives, conducting various transactions and communications online, safeguarding our personal information and sensitive data has become more critical than ever. Like many organisations, Mosaic Settlements has robust measures in place to identify and respond to cyber threats, but the responsibility for cyber security doesn’t rest solely on institutions. It’s a shared effort, and every individual has a role to play in keeping information safe online.
Here are some practical steps you can take to enhance your online safety:
- Verify the Source of Emails: Before you respond to emails, click on links, or open attachments, always verify the sender’s authenticity. Cybercriminals often impersonate trusted organisations, so it’s crucial to ensure that the email is genuinely coming from the source it claims to be.
- Check the Email Address: Pay close attention to the sender’s email address. Cyber attackers may try to trick you by using slight variations in spelling or different domain names. For instance, they might use “@cyber.live” instead of “@cyber.com.” These subtle differences can be easy to overlook but are often key indicators of a fraudulent email.
- Question Unexpected Communications: If you receive an email that you weren’t expecting or that seems unusual in any way, be immediately suspicious. Cybercriminals often exploit surprise and curiosity to lure victims into their traps.
- Beware of Urgency: If an email conveys a sense of urgency and pressures you to click on a link or verify your details immediately, exercise caution. Cybercriminals often use urgency as a tactic to manipulate recipients. Take the time to investigate further before taking any action.
- Examine the Sender’s Details: Familiarise yourself with the sender’s email address. Hover over the sender’s details to check the actual address from which the email originated. Ensure that it matches the address you typically see on correspondence from that organisation. Discrepancies can be a red flag.
If you ever encounter something that seems suspicious or raises doubts about the legitimacy of an email, take the following steps:
- Contact the Organisation: First and foremost, reach out to the organisation directly to confirm whether the communication indeed came from them. Contact their official customer support or use their verified contact information.
- Avoid Immediate Action: Refrain from taking any immediate action until you’ve received confirmation from the organisation. This could include clicking on links, sharing personal information, or responding to the email.
In a world where cyber threats are constantly evolving, staying vigilant is paramount. By following these simple yet crucial steps, you can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to cyberattacks. Remember, cyber security is a collective effort, and each one of us has a role in safeguarding our digital lives and personal information.
Mosaic Settlements encourages safe internet usage
Stay informed, stay cautious, and stay safe online. Reach out to us if you have any questions about how we encourage safe internet usage with our clients and vendors.